Tuesday, April 2, 2013

(Untitled)


Staple me to a cross 
Pierce my side with a broken promise
And I will bleed all the crippled reasons
Why you deserve one more chance.
I whispered you stardust,
I spoke you into sunflowers,
I dipped my hands in forever,
Touched infinity,
Treated you as if you were the last molecule
Of oxygen inside a gas chamber;
I was good to you
I swallowed my pride and then it clawed its way out of my mouth.
If I could I would tie your arms to a daydream
And auction you off to my fondest memories,
I write this in my own spinal fluid
And put it on the backbone of a white flag
So before you read it you know that I’ve given up.
I’ll just keep you here
Shackled to the most important chapter of my life story,
Pressed to the basement of my eyelids like liquid salvation
So I remember you beautiful
With amazing underneath your wings and a sly smile.
You linger on my lips and kiss me with stuttering apologies
Taped to the roof of your mouth.
I still remember you like a dream
Tattooed to the inner walls of a long term memory,
But some days I wonder if
You existed at all.
Yet you still want to know how I got these scars
I got these scars the day I fell in love with you
I landed face first.


Happy National Poetry Month everyone! I hope you at least kinda liked my poem. I wrote it a while ago but it has enough feels in it to be an adequate first post to this blog (even though it lacks a title, don't judge me!)

A lot of the time, I write poems when I can't find colloquial phrases to express how I'm feeling to human beings, so a Microsoft Document is always a dear friend of mine when I'm feelin' bummed or, in this case, a little heart broken. Love is tough, it's maddening, it's amazing, it's terrifying, it's traumatizing, it's unreasonable, it's everything you want and all the memories come back and crash on the shore again and again when you just want to sleep. We fall, and sometimes you get pretty banged up by it, but why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up. 

Anyway, that's what the poem is about I guess, analyze it as you will, my fellow poetry lovers. But for now, I hear my homework beckoning me. Until next time. Godspeed. ~Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment